2022 KTM GP Academy, Round 10 of 20, Sachsenring (Germany) - Race
The Liqui Moly Motorrad Grand Prix Deutschland 2022 provided a decent reaping ground for KTM GP Academy in terms of Moto2 world championship results as Red Bull KTM Ajo resume 1st and 2nd place duties at a hot and sweaty Sachsenring.
- Augusto Fernandez dominates Moto2 field to win by almost ten seconds
- Pedro Acosta takes 2nd place for his second podium finish of a rookie season
- Daniel Holgado is the first of three Red Bull KTMs in the Moto3 top ten
- Angel Piqueras owns the eighth race of the 2022 Red Bull MotoGP Rookies Cup while Kevin Farkas triumphs again in the Northern Talent Cup
For the second time in his rookie Grand Prix season, JuniorGP World Champion Daniel Holgado used his Red Bull KTM Ajo RC4 to launch from a front row grid slot. The Spanish teenager was one of six riders that circulated the 3.7km-13 corner track fighting for podium spots at the tenth round of twenty this term.
Although he couldn’t hold on to the grapple for trophies, Holgado still rode well to remain ahead of brandmate Red Bull KTM Tech3’s Deniz Öncü as they crossed the finish line in 6th and 7th. Öncü resilience to rise from a grid spot of 24th (despite a double Long Lap penalty) to take nine world championship points was particularly admirable. Very close in arrears was Adrian Fernandez: the Spaniard’s 8th position signifying his best of 2022 and his third consecutive top ten classification. Jaume Masia had to be content with 12th.
In the world championship standings Jaume Masia is 4th.
Red Bull KTM Ajo was the team to catch once more in the intermediate class. With both Augusto Fernandez and Pedro Acosta celebrating race wins and podium presence in the last three rounds the Spaniards were again among the pace-setters for the tenth chase of the year. After 28 laps it was Fernandez who prevailed as the first classified and by a comprehensive margin as he controlled the sprint from the opening stages.
Acosta was also forceful in a four-rider scrap for the remaining podium spaces. The teenager resisted Sam Lowes by fractions of a second to classify as runner-up.
Fernandes is now just 12 points from the top of the Moto2 table.
Augusto Fernandez: "It was a very long race and I kept a pace that I was happy with. It was 28 laps but I managed it well because the track was very tough in terms of grip: you couldn't relax at any time. I'm very happy with this victory and with the important points that we got for the title fight. Now it's time to focus on the next race."
The Red Bull MotoGP Rookies Cup filled the grid after the MotoGP race and Spanish teenager Angel Piqueras was the first to the checkered flag. It was his second rostrum appearance of what is his first season in the series.
Kevin Farkas took the win in the latest episode of the 2022 Northern Talent Cup. The youngster emerged first from a battle that saw eight riders divided by less than a second.
MotoGP moves up through the continent this week and to the Netherlands where the TT Circuit Assen will stage round eleven and the last Grand Prix before the summer break. The NTC will again be in action.
Results Moto3 Liqui Moly Motorrad Grand Prix Deutschland 2022
1. Izan Guevara, (ESP), GASGAS 39:14.946
2. Dennis Foggia, (ITA), Honda +4.853
3. Sergio Garcia, (ESP), GASGAS +4.964
4. Ayumu Sasaki, (JPN), Husqvarna +5.941
5. Tatsuki Suzuki , (JPN), Honda +9.081
6. Daniel Holgado (ESP) Red Bull KTM Ajo +12.826
7. Deniz Öncü, (TUR), Red Bull KTM Tech3 +13.426
8. Adrian Fernandez (ESP) Red Bull KTM Tech3 +14.664
12. Jaume Masia (ESP) Red Bull KTM Ajo +21.529
Results Moto2 Liqui Moly Motorrad Grand Prix Deutschland 2022
1. Augusto Fernandez (ESP) Red Bull KTM Ajo 39:44.190
2. Pedro Acosta (ESP) Red Bull KTM Ajo +7.704
3. Sam Lowes (GBR) +7.844
Press & PR Manager
+43 676 599 0084